What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

27 December 2004

ATTN: Post-Holiday Shoppers

Earthquake/Tsunami Kills Thousands in Asia



For those of you who like to complain that Christmas has become too commercialized, here's your test: are you reading the news, or just the sale pages? How far does your Christmas cheer really extend?



While we were eating leftover turkey and wearing out the AA batteries (not included) in our new Christmas toys, thousands of lives were lost in Asia and Indonesia. There probably won't even be a final death toll for another couple of weeks, at least. Many of those who survived the tsunami are injured and left homeless.



So I'm not saying that you shouldn't be buying next year's Holiday decorations at 50% off - I work in retail, it's my job to sell you the stuff, and yes, I bought a couple of things myself - but while you have your credit cards out, why not make a contribution to a very worthy cause? No one person can assuage the needs of the world, but every little bit makes a difference.



To help, check out the American Red Cross
P.O. Box 37243
Washington, D.C. 20013
800-HELP-NOW
www.redcross.org



Catholic Relief Services
P.O. Box 17090
Baltimore, MD 21203
888-HELP-CRF
www.catholicrelief.org



Direct Relief International
27 South La Patera Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
805-964-4767
www.directrelief.org





No comments:

Post a Comment