What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

11 May 2007

Graduation

So I'm working a Saturday shift, which is somewhat unusual for me.



I was okay with it...then I found out that this is Tech's Graduation weekend -
which, if you work at a restaurant, translates to "insanely, unimaginably busy!"
(No breaks, no early outs - whatever it is, don't even ask - capisce?)



It occurred to me recently that I've been terrorized by Texas Tech's Graduation for most of my life. When I was a kid, my mom worked at Tech; I didn't know then what 'registration' and 'graduation' were - I just knew that those were the times when Mom got home from work really late, and was unusually cranky.



When my sister graduated from Tech, I actually had to sit through the ceremony. Hours of sitting and waiting for one name to be called, one familiar face to walk by for an ever-so-brief photo op. Then more sitting and waiting.



Now, as a waitress, graduation means big crowds - lots of money to be made, if you can deal with the chaos.



No comments:

Post a Comment