What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

04 May 2004

May the Fourth be with you

I was on the bus going home from work last night, reading Dave Barry and laughing so loud at times that I was afraid the other passengers would start looking at me funny, when I realized I didn't need to worry because while I was laughing, the man behind me was singing into his cell phone.



My first thought was, "How cool is that?"



The best phone conversation I've ever had wasn't actually much of a conversation at all. When I first got my cell phone, I of course started calling everyone I ever knew to give them the number. One of the first people I called was an old friend of mine who, Lord love him, almost always boosts my ego by being thrilled to hear from me. This particular time, he had a new toy of his own - he'd spent the last three or four hours downloading music to his computer (I don't know if he paid for it or not - I didn't ask.) Anyway, so he started playing selected songs for me, so I could hear how great his computer sounded, and I started singing along - or offering "constructive criticism," whenever he played a song I couldn't believe he actually liked. It was so cool - I hadn't seen this guy in forever, and there we were, listening to music together, over the phone. Definitely the best phone call ever.



1 comment:

  1. I liked your title--May the Fourth Be With You. At the Reading Convention I just attended in Reno, I picked up a bumper sticker that said, "Metaphors Be With You." Of course, the students won't get it, but I knew you would.

    ReplyDelete