What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

17 December 2004

Matchmaking

“I’d let the geek get the girl”









Wouldn’t be hard, if the girl was me. I heart geeks – anyone who knows me, or has read my ramblings all year, knows that by now.









It just so happens that I know of a geek, and a girl, who really need to get together. But I have no idea how to make that happen, without turning into Cher (the 90s version of Emma…not the zombified singer)









So I’ll just state the case here, and throw it out into the void and anonymity of the W3. I won’t even name names…yet. For immediate purposes, the geek and the girl will hereinafter be known, respectively, as “Jonathan” and “Judith.”









I wonder though…what would the effect be if I created a “Jonathan and Judith” website – except with their real names? Let the word spread, and get all kinds of people involved in speculation about if and when they’ll finally hook up… Would the suggestiveness and insanity of it all cause their humor to kick in, and let them have fun with it, and form a bond? Or would they fight it, and draw apart? It might be an interesting experiment to try…









































Both of these people – Jonathan and Judith – are so completely unique that just to be around them is like breathing fresh air after being cooped up in an overcrowded, smoke-filled meeting room. My personal style is to fight conformity whenever I can – but these two don’t even bother to acknowledge it. They go where they wanna go, do what they wanna do. They will say whatever comes to mind, and each of them has a great sense of humor, so a conversation with Jonathan and Judith can crack me up and keep me laughing for the rest of the day.





Jonathan, as with any good geek, is known for being smarter than all the rest of us…but I think it’s just that sometimes he puts up a really good front. He is smart, but there are several things about which he willingly admits he knows little or nothing. If a subject interests him, he will know all about it; but I think that’s true about a lot of people. The thing about Jonathan is that he’s a wordsmith. He is very comfortable with words, and seems to enjoy using them, playing with them, trying them out to see what they can do. He is a master of the snappy comeback – only his style is to respond to ordinary, commonplace remarks with the most bizarre, outré replies he can get away with – and he can do it with a completely straight face. I think it makes him fun to talk to…but a lot of people don’t know quite what to make of it.





Judith, on the other hand, speaks a language all her own. She has her own sayings, and inside jokes, and notions of what’s cool and what isn’t. If you don’t get it, that’s okay. She knows what she means…and if you ask, she’ll probably be happy to explain herself. Those who don’t immediately dismiss her as “weird” find that it isn’t at all hard to catch on – in fact, I’ve found myself borrowing some of Judith’s expressions lately. I personally think she’s one of the coolest people I’ve ever seen; there are few people I enjoy talking to more. She is incredibly sweet-natured and open-hearted, and almost always has something to smile about. Even the things she doesn’t like – the Christmas songs that we hear over and over and over and over, or the annoying rich kid who’s everywhere and drives us all crazy – are sources of amusement. She takes absolutely nothing for granted.





Maybe it’s just because Jonathan and Judith are two of my favorite people, within this particular circle of friends, that I’d love to see them coupled up. But they do play off each other remarkably well. His powers of observation are such that he can understand her nonverbals, and her open-mindedness gives her the ability to keep up with him in any conversation. She flaps her hand in a certain way, he immediately understands and moves to where she wants him to go – he takes a conversation into an unexpected and very strange avenue with one of his non-sequiturs, and she takes the gauntlet and runs with it – all while the rest of us are still looking on in puzzlement.





I know that at least one of them is aware of the possibilities of such a scheme. The other may or may not be persuadable. I don’t know, but I hope so.





To be continued. Maybe…

























3 comments:

  1. Hey Girl! Just a couple of things:
    1) Nice movie allusions...Scream 2...though not as good as Scream with its "Liv-er alone!" does have some redeaming qualities. And how could one not love Clueless...mad props to my girl!
    B) It is obvious Judith is too shy to say anything to this Jonathan character about her feelings...for fear of rejection...so I think it may be all up to you, sistah, to bust out with some mad matchmaking skills! Oh, and the clock is ticking because it also sounds like she hasn't told anyone else up at work how she feels...and your time there is oh so limited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and this was a good one...your perspective is interesting...keep us readers posted on the happening between J&J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating - really? Wow...thanks. Glad to meet you.

    ReplyDelete