What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

27 January 2005

"Twenty-Two!"

Time was, at my job, about two-thirds of the staff was female, and it wasn't at all unusual to have a shift with only one or two guys on the floor. The one or two guys then inevitably became objects of ridicule and derision - we girls worked well together, got everything done, and saw no need to flub things up by adding a couple of Y-chromosomes to the mix. The boys were for the weekend shifts (when everything is more chaotic anyway) and for after-hours socializing, that's all.



Now they're everywhere! Thursday night in the kitchen, it's like the Godfather - they have secret handshakes, and code words, it's a whole brotherhood.



One thing that kills me, they have this "babe alert" system: one of the guys walks into the kitchen and calls out a table number, seemingly at random - that means that there's a hot girl at that table, and over the course of the next five minutes or so, every guy on the shift will find some reason to go by that table and check her out. It's hysterical.



Girls don't do that. If we see a man worthy of a double-take, we may or may not share it with, at most, one or two friends. We are much less likely to say something if he's with a girl who could be a significant other; and chances are, at least one girl will disagree and there will be a "you don't think he's cute?" discussion. The guys aren't like that. They don't care about type, don't care if she's with someone - if she's cute, she's cute, and they ogle indiscriminately.



I know there are proven psychological reasons for the different ways we behave - the whole Mars/Venus thing. I just find it amusing. I love the guys I work with! I don't get it, don't understand 'em at all, but they crack me up.



No comments:

Post a Comment