What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

30 May 2005

The Flying Fickle Finger of Fate

Do you have any idea what it's like to be obsessed with something for four years...and then to get it?



I'm not complaining - I'm not one of those who gets what they've always wanted, only to find they don't want it anymore. It's just a little hard to believe, that's all.



I keep expecting somebody to show up and tell me there's been a mistake - you don't just get what you want this easily.



Some middle-aged guy, short and balding, in a cheap brown suit with a clipboard.



"I'm sorry, there's been a slight mix-up...completely our fault...but you see, the 'Happily Ever After With The Man Of Your Dreams' prize package was actually won by a Mrs. Sarah Reide of Newark, New Jersey."



"Your name was drawn for our 'Chocolate Cheesecake Fantasia' prize, featuring a lifetime's supply of Godiva's Chocolate Cheesecake ice cream, which you registered for at a supermarket two years ago."



And then he looks down at his clipboard, fidgets a bit, and h-hems nervously.



"Unfortunately, they've stopped making that particular ice cream..."



No comments:

Post a Comment