What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

12 October 2006

I WANT SPINACH!!

This is getting ridiculous.



I was at Subway, getting a turkey & bacon sandwich, cause I forgot to pack a lunch (What I really wanted was a Chili's turkey sandwich, but I didn't have that much time or money to spend. Turned out the Subway sammich was much better!) Anyway, I was just thinking how much better it would be with spinach instead of lettuce - and better for me - when I saw the ever-present sign saying that they are not serving spinach due to the recent blah blah blah...



We go anyplace with a salad bar - I love spinach salad - but noooo, I have to settle for Romaine. On our honeymoon, we went to an Italian place and I ordered Eggplant Rollantini - eggplant stuffed with spinach and ricotta - and they couldn't do it.



Nothing like complete unavailability to make you crave something, eh?



I was thinking this would be just a temporary shortage, until all the iffy produce was out of circulation and they could get a new batch into the stores - a minor annoyance. But when I mentioned that to my husband he said they have to grow a whole new crop, and there probably won't be any more spinach until next year! Apparently, nobody's buying it anymore (stores, restaurants, etc.) so even the stuff that isn't suspect is being tilled under because there's no market for it right now.



Wish somebody would sell some of it to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment