What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

06 October 2006

It's Christmas!!

Ok, so it's not exactly Christmas...it's the first week of October. But Christmas comes very early when you work in retail, and at Pier 1 it began this week.



My husband Ken is adamant that no celebration of Christmas should take place before Thanksgiving, and that's how I've always felt too - after all, my birthday is at Thanksgiving, and I've never been willing to have my birthday skipped over in favor of the next, biggest & brightest holiday. But it's hard not to get excited when you're in the midst of preparations, early though they may be, and everything is so pretty and shiny and colorful.



I spent the afternoon hanging ornaments, and arranging pretty things by color groups. We have funny little gold-mesh Christmas trees that look like they're dancing, and Snowmen and Santa Clauses that are shaped like long, bendy teardrops, fat on the bottom, skinny on top. There are cool angels that look like they came straight out of a Bible story, with robes and scarves all draped and tied on one side, and their heads covered.



There are other things as well, that I'm not so jazzed about: I don't know about the bronze- and silver-lame teddy bears. And, as usual, the Pier's choice of Christmas colors leaves me a bit baffled. This year it's pink/red/white, turquoise/lime green/silver, and warm metallics (gold, copper, and bronze.) My Christmas tree doesn't have a color scheme, exactly, but it tends to look like it got rolled through a toy factory on its way to my living room - lots of primary colors. No pink. I like gold stars and silver snowflakes, and anything striped like a candy cane. Not a lot of that at P1 this year, but that's okay. I'm sure I'll find something to add, and I haven't even seen this year's toys - I hope they're good, cause I have lots of kids to shop for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment