What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

28 September 2007

Greens and Blues

"What the hell does that mean?"



We're listening to that song, "(I'm The One Who Wants) To Be With You" - great song - reminds me of high school, but in a good way. We used to listen to it on band trips, the whole bus would sing along, etc. It's very sing-along-able, except that I've never understood what that third line of the chorus said.



So tonight, after however many years of not knowing what the hell that line was, we finally looked it up, and it goes like this:

I'm the one who wants to be with you
Deep inside I hope you feel it too
Waited on a line of greens and blues
Just to be the next to be with you

So now I know what the line is.
But I have no ideal what the hell it means.



"Waited on a line of greens and blues...?"



I'm always a bit bothered by songs like that - great tune, great beat, great whatever, but the words don't make any sense. Common Rotation, one of my favorite little-known indie bands, is a big offender in that category. Jewel does it a lot too, but hers is "poetry". (Right.) They Might Be Giants does it, but that's one of their gimmicks - nonsense songs. It's the serious ones - the "poetry" songs - that bug me: the songs whose lyrics sound like they must be full of deep metaphoric meaningfullness, but really just don't make any sense at all. I always feel silly singing along with songs like that...



No comments:

Post a Comment