What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

25 February 2004

I Would Do Anything For Love...

But I Won't Do That. What the hell does that song mean, anyway? What is "that"?



One of my roomies is cleaning the kitchen and listening to Hits of the 90s, and that's the song that just came on. We both cracked up.



I remember being in college, full of intensity and earnestness, listening to that song and singing along with tears in my eyes. Now I listen to it and just laugh...I think I'll always like that song now, just for the memories it evokes. I've actually been tripping down that particular stretch of Memory Lane a lot lately. College...



God, if I had known then what I know now - well, I don't know what would've happened. Probably some tragic butterfly-effect series of events that would cause me to realize that everything happens when it happens for a reason, and that I had to travel the road I've traveled in order to come to where I am now and be content. Some kind of nonsense like that. But it's an enticing thought - if I'd only known then what I know now...



I seem to go through periods of nostalgia. Does everyone do that? I'll go for months or years and never really think about times gone by, and then suddenly I find myself overwhelmed by fond memories, and off I go down the road of reminiscence once again.



I recently got back in touch with my college sweetheart - the love of my life, though I didn't know it at the time (see, that's what I'm talking about - hindsight, man.) We're friends now, and it's good to be back in touch with someone who's known me since way back when. Talking to him helps me remember that no matter how far I've come since then, I'm still me.



Truth be told, I'm grateful for the distance I've traveled since college. It was a good time, but I like where I am now. So, I guess...I would do anything for love, but I won't go back.



All the same - Kenny, this one's for you. Thanks for the memories!



No comments:

Post a Comment