What Was I Thinking?

I started blogging in 2003, and for years I used my blog as a kind of open journal. It allowed me to write about the things that were going ...

15 May 2004

Mullet Guy and Rodman

(Part Two of my Summer Concert Series)



I went with some friends last night to see America, Peter Frampton, and Styx. We got the tickets for free, at the Wildflower festival last weekend when I went to see Blues Traveler. It was another great show, but almost as much fun was the down-time between acts, which we spent people-watching. It was especially amusing because everyone around us, as I'm sure you can imagine, was severely fucked-up, and we were totally sober.



I shared a hug with a girl who was wearing the same "I Love Nerds" T-shirt as me, and one of the girls in the group of kids next to us had on a white, furry mini-top with a brown suede jacket, and looked for all the world like Penny Lane. We saw a dazed-looking guy wearing a long-tailed blue T-shirt, nondescript dark-colored shorts, and knee-high army boots with buckles all the way up the outsides.



But the best - without a doubt - were Mullet Guy and Rodman.



Rodman was a younger dude, with a totally goofy look on his face and braces that weren't doing a bit of good, with his teeth sticking out to there. He was wearing a Rodman jersey (to a Frampton concert??) and he was seriously impaired - I bet my friends ten bucks that he'd fall on his head before the night was over. And that it wouldn't make much difference.



Mullet Guy was even better. He had, of course, a mullet that wouldn't die (though it needed to!) He kept wandering off, to the restrooms or wherever, and every time he came back he'd get lost on the way back to where he was sitting, and he was weaving and staggering all over the place, and bobbing his head to the random beat of whatever music was playing in his mind...it was sooo funny. Every so often he'd punch a fist into the air - sometimes even both fists, Rocky Balboa style. It was great! I tried to take a picture of him, but it was too dark and it didn't come out. So now Mullet Guy is only a memory - but it's one that will keep me laughing, possibly for years to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment